In today’s digital age, companies involved in the transformation and creation of manufacturing processes encompass intelligent storage systems and digitally developed, IT-based production facilities. In this way, factories become a proactive production system, where employees and systems are able to anticipate and act on potential failures that directly affect production processes.
The application of next-generation technology such as the Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and other means of digital automation enable connectivity between devices and machinery that promote quality, efficient and sustainable production.
In order for data collection to provide a competitive advantage and be fully exploited, it is necessary to create systems for data representation and analysis, which we call synoptic. In this way, it is possible to obtain a global and schematic overview of the actual situation of one or more production plants.
In this article, we tell you in depth about the characteristics of the SCADA tool and the digital twins.
SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) is an industrial supervision and control tool capable of collecting and analysing the data generated by the equipment and devices of the production process. More specifically, a SCADA is a software designed to work on production control that facilitates communication between field devices, such as: PLC, simple sensors, among others, and manage monitoring processes. Thanks to these data systems it is possible to obtain better traceability in production processes, store operating patterns and develop predictive maintenance that prevents downtime, as well as promoting informed and intelligent decision making.
Nexus Integra has implemented its monitoring and management system at Global Omnium, a water infrastructure management company, from which its employees can consult all the data on the operation of their systems in real time. Thanks to its digital transformation, Global Omnium has managed to automate the operation of reserves and reduce maintenance costs by 20%.
The integration of intelligent elements in Industry 4.0 factories has enabled the creation of virtual replicas of products and/or processes, known as Digital Twins. These make it possible, through the use of Machine Learning techniques, to carry out operating patterns and simulations based on real-time data collection.
Depending on the level of integration and data flow, it is possible to differentiate between:
1. Digital model. This refers to digital representations that do not require automated data exchange, such as factory drawings, models of new products or existing physical objects.
2. Digital shadow. In this case there is a unidirectional exchange of data from the physical object to the digital object.
3. Digital twins. There is a constant and automated bidirectional flow between the physical and digital object, influencing each of them
On the other hand, based on the required functions we can differentiate two types of digital twins:
- Data-based twins. These are those that have been created solely on the basis of data on the functioning of the physical object.
- Cufflinks with virtual representation. This refers to those that have been developed and set in their environment, which has also been recreated virtually.
Industrial advantages of visual representation by means of synoptics:
- They improve the management and control of tasks as well as facilitating decision-making in production.
- They enable the capacity to carry out predictive maintenance functions, making it possible to analyse and identify possible incidents.
- They facilitate management by personnel who do not have excessive technical knowledge, due to their simplified and intuitive interface.
Visualise, analyse and manage your manufacturing plants with Nexus Integra
Nexus Integra is a solution that combines software and hardware for the digitalisation of your production processes. You will be able to obtain real-time data, easily detect anomalies, reduce finished product waste and save costs.
With Nexus Integra you can acquire a 360º vision of your company and increase the efficiency of your business. Control, monitor and manage production status in real time. Create evolution graphs and 3D SCADAs from a single centralised platform.
Digitise your production with Nexus Integra